Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Christmas ham recipe questions?

I don't cook much but I am trying to learn. Can someone answer these questions about my ham recipe. I am making this for a dinner party.





1) My recipe says to ';Remove the rine from a large whole ham and score the fat in the traditional diamond pattern.'; I understand what removing the rine is, but what is scoring the fat in the ';traditional diamond pattern';?





2) Also, it says, ';Stud it heavily with whole cloves and place it in a large roaster.'; Where do I buy cloves (what area of the grocery store) and what do they look like. (I told you I am an amateur!)





3)How do I ';stud'; it with cloves?My Christmas ham recipe questions?
The scoring helps the glaze stay on the ham.


The cloves are found in the spice shelves (these are usually organized alphabetically). Don't accidentally get Ground Cloves. (the same thing only ground into a powder). The whole cloves look like tiny sticks with dried flowers on the end.)


The cloves are pushed into the blocks between the incisions like little darts.


Here is a good picture of a classic ham: www.dainties.com.au/hams.htm


(Some people put cherries at the intersections)My Christmas ham recipe questions?
Diamond pattern, tip of the knife 1/4 in deep on the diagonal both ways from top left to right.


Cloves in the spice Isle


Stud is to push the pointed ends of the cloves into the ham in a random pattern
1) Start at one end of the ham and cut parallel lines at a slight angle from one side to the other. Turn the ham 180 degrees and repeat from the other side so that the lines form little parallelogram (diamond) shapes.





2) Cloves are a spice that's shaped roughly like a brown tooth with roots. (I can't think of a better way to describe them.) You can find whole cloves in the spice aisle. Don't buy the powered cloves. . .you can't do step 3 with those. Make sure you get the whole ones!





3) To stud the ham, push the ';root'; part of the clove into the center of each diamond shape.





Merry Christmas wishes, and hope the ham is delicious!
do the same as me forget the whole Christmas thing it is one big con and just another day on the calendar cant see what all the fuss is about
The pattern is done by just using a knife and cutting a diamond pattern into the ham. Sort of like a chain link fence design.





Whole cloves are bought at any grocery store. They sor of look like a little wooden paneling nail. It has a shaft with a head on it.





As for how to stud... Well I just push the cloves into every spot the diamond pattern crosses. I never had to put in piolet holes or pre poke the holes. Just push in the cloves %26amp; your good to go. The whole cloves are pretty tought and you don't have to worry that much about them breaking.
but it already smoked right from the grocery store. put pineapple on it, put in the oven, and cook until borowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment