Sunday, December 20, 2009

Why do all lentil and ham recipes say to make it using cooked ham?

All the recipes that I've found for a lentil and ham 'stew' say that you should boil lentils and cooked ham for about 2 hours.





I've got a raw gammon joint which says that it needs to be boiled 1 hour 20 mins.





Couldn't I just put cubes of the raw gammon joint in with the lentils and boil for 2 hours? Any disadvantages?





Thanks!Why do all lentil and ham recipes say to make it using cooked ham?
sure you could


the recipes want it boiled for that time to get the flavor out of the ham and if you are using leftovers it will tenderize the meat.Why do all lentil and ham recipes say to make it using cooked ham?
Most ham is already cooked(smoked). I don't know why they always say that--it's really unnecessary.
Lentils unlike most other legumes take a very little time to cook.so adding raw meats would not allow the meat to cook and become tender,





Before I cook any type of bean...I make a stock..of ham,onions and bay leaves. then I cook it several hours so it has nice and rich flavor and I cook my bean in the stock.
Most cooked ham is smoked. It is the smokiness which imparts much of the flavor to the lentils.
Raw ham would be full of fat. This would make any meal using it very greasy.
Do I look like Gordon Ramsey dear???!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment