Thursday, December 24, 2009

Recipes for curing ham?

Ham 01








Ham





Use the following portions to make a brine for a 3 lb piece of pork


loin. Scale it up for larger portions.





1 cup salt


1 cup sugar


1 tsp Prague #1 [ powder ]


2 qts water





Soak the fresh (not previously frozen) pork in this brine for 12


to 24 hrs.





Cook the cured ham in water at 165F until the internal temperature


of the ham is 152F. Cool and refrigerate overnight. You now have


what is known as ';boiled'; ham.





You can also bake the ham the same way, 165F oven till the internal


temp reaches 152F. This will give you a drier ham.





If you have a smoker, smoke it for a few hours before boiling.


You can also put liquid smoke in the brine but I have never done


it.





I am guessing at the brining time as I inject about 10% of the


weight of the meat (in brine), directly into the meat and only


brine for about 6 hrs. This is called pumping and cuts down the


brining time and makes a more consistant job of it.


Angus -- The prague # 1 powder is where you get the nitrites and nitrates that cures the meat I use [ insta-cure #1] whitch is a brand name.Mortons quick cure will work.follow directions on pkg.My hobby is making summer sausage I order the insta-cure from the sausage maker.com


I hope I have been some help to you


jim b


PS. If you are going to do a bone in ham


you should use the pumping method be sure to pump the joints there is where the spoilage starts around the bone and the joints. This recipe calls for cooking the meat to an internal temperiture of 152*F


that will help but for a bone in ham I would raise the temp. to 165*FRecipes for curing ham?
Here is how they did it in the old days in the South. I was young, but I still remember. The fresh hams were placed in a hollowed out poplar log that looked similar to a canoe. Salt was thickly spread between the hams and the entire meat was covered. They were left in the salt for 3 weeks and hung in the bottom of the smokehouse that had a dirt floor. A slow burning fire of green hickory wood was continuously kept under the hams producing lots of smoke. The meat was smoked for about another two weeks or so until the hams were dry and had stopped dripping. Then they were hung in the upper level of the smokehouse until used. In my mind's eye there was no better ham in the world. I still have the smokehouse and the old poplar log. Good memories. Thanks for the question.Recipes for curing ham?
I've recently been smoking my own cured ham and investigating this. Apparently you need Nitrates/Nitrites and not being sure where to get them (Butchers? Chemists?) I am just oven smoking for now.
ham has already been cured if not its called pork. Hugh Fearnley Whittingsham has a great recipe for air dried ham. should be on his website
Its most important to rush it to the hospital - in a hambulance.
A nice hot bath and then 2 Paracetamols 3 times a day. If symptoms persist, consult your GP.
have you tried asprin

No comments:

Post a Comment